Overall objective of action
This action attempts to utilize untapped feed sources such as uneaten and wasted organic mass composed parts of the Banana plant, pruned and fallen parts of fruit trees in addition to dead parts of Dom (Hyphaene thebaica) tree for feeding livestock in some parts of Kassala state especially in the dry season.
Small livestock holders in rural and suburban areas of Kassala locality and Humashkoraib locality.
1. Small livestock holders in Kassala and Humashkoraib localities of Kassala sate.
2. Owners of orchards for growing bananas and citrus fruits.
3. Forestry department in Kassala state.
4. Pasture and Forage department in Kassala state.
4. Bodies concerned with environmental safety in Kassala state.
5. Veterinary authority in Kassala state.
Relevance of the action
Livestock keeping is a common means of generating income and securing food to families in Kassala state. However, it is challenged by shortages in conventional feed supplies, notably, in the dry season. This action attempts to utilize untapped feed sources for feeding livestock in some parts of Kassala State especially in the dry season.